At NC State, I am the manager of the Office of Information Technology’s Design & Web Services team. I am the direct supervisor of two full-time web developers, one part-time web support specialist, and between one and three undergraduate interns. Our team is responsible for supporting various elements of the university web presence, including:
- Managing and maintaining NC State’s enterprise-level WordPress services
- Providing Tier II/III support for campus web hosting services
- Designing and developing custom-to-campus WordPress themes and plugins
- Front-end dev work for certain non-WordPress systems, as needed (eg. ServiceNow, Shibboleth authentication)
- Consulting campus units on their web needs beyond “design and development,” including accessibility remediation, service design and workflow, user experience testing, information architecture, and content management best practices.
- Leading training workshops on a variety of topics related to the web and WordPress
- Managing the campus “broadcast” email service (messages to all students, faculty, and staff)
- Managing the primary campus email marketing service
Prior to being promoted to manager, I was our team’s accessibility lead. I continue to work closely with the university’s IT Accessibility Office, and I advocate for accessibility and inclusive design practices in projects at NC State.
- In 2016, I received the Pride of the Wolfpack Award, which recognizes “a special or unique contribution to their college, business unit, or NC State University.” I received the award for my work in transitioning OIT’s web presence from Drupal to WordPress, and the reorganization and improvement of web content during that process.
- In 2019, I received a unit-level University Award for Excellence, which recognizes “notable contributions that are above and beyond an employee’s normal job responsibilities” and “meritorious achievements or accomplishments [that are] singularly outstanding.” I received the award for my part in our team’s web accessibility efforts.
- In 2020, I was nominated for the Recognizing Excellence in Diversity: Outstanding Staff Award, which recognizes staff members with “a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion” who go “beyond their administrative role to address the needs and concerns of the NC State community.” I was nominated for my part in our team’s web accessibility efforts.
- In 2020, the Design & Web Services team was nominated for the Extraordinary Team Impact Award, which recognizes “a high-functioning team that has facilitated, promoted or advanced the university mission, vision and values through its collaborative efforts.” We were nominated in recognition of our work to support the university’s COVID-19 communication efforts.